As we have already told you in recent days in Lucca we will present the final version of Lost in the Dungeon in our stand inside the Games section, Pavilion Carducci (Svilupparty area).
Playing Lost in the Dungeon you will enter a series of dungeons full of obstacles and dangers, hunting for hidden treasures in the deepest darkness. But to do that you have to wait for November 1th,so now you have to settle for the DevLog of the game 😉
Today we will tell you what happened in July 2017…
We must admit, we no longer have any memories of our first steps, the first bike ride without falling, the first serious fuddle, but certainly the only event that will remain indelible in our memory will be the development of the first pieces of Lost in the Dungeon.
Cristiano took care of the Preloading scene, the first screen displayed loading the player’s data. After analyzing the problems found in the previous project, we decided to create a Manager to manage the AspectRatio of the scenes for each device.
Luca instead got sick after finishing a bug fixing session on another project.
Irene began the creation of particle effects for the Dungeon Game scene. It started from the most important scene being the one that requires more work. Animation of card outline and card selection animation.
In the meantime Nicholas has been involved in the creation of various documents for the monitoring of the design (GDD, Flowchart). There was also a build test created for Svilupparty to examine in-game mechanics, balancing and longevity in detail.
There are two things that a crew must do to conduct a boat through the storm, first of all, each member of the ship must have his job clear, and secondly everyone has to work as one man, to allow the boat to arrive in port. An handmade analogy that our team has made from the first moment.
Cristiano has created the Save System useful for managing the saving data of each scene. Soon after, we started creating the deck builder scene. In this scene the player manages his own combat deck, customizing it based on the difficulties encountered in the dungeon.
Luca instead took care of the Card Tool that serves to create and generate all the cards used throughout the game. Analyzing in depth our case, we decided to spend more time than a programmer does to create the Card Tool rather than doing the cards by hand as a matter of timing and asset management.
Analyzing the type and kind of effects required, Irene found that some of these effects could be reused in other scenes. On her basis she theorized and started the development of a tool to generate effects that would save a lot of time in the creation phase.
If the creator of Mario Bros had chosen an accountant instead of a plumber would the game have had the same success? Probably not. This thought remind us of how even the smallest detail is essential for things to go right, so we never left anything to chance in Lost in the Dungeon.
Cristiano has carried out a series of tests on communication and compatibility between the scene of the Deck Builder and the Save System.
Irene, instead has concluded the development of the effects generator.
Nicholas created the rain effect for the Preloading scene, and created the outline of the buttons for the Inn scene. This was a small piece of polishing made by the designer (Nicholas) to lighten the workload of the technical artist (Irere).
We then created the effects packages for the import in the main project, created the lists of skills, the description of the particle effects and the list of missing assets. Finally we created the texts of the dialogues in Italian and in English.
You can not spend your life training without ever taking the field, so when our project began to be in great shape we decided to take it for a ride at Milan Games Week, to give to the world the opportunity to meet him in person.
Analyzing the amount of assets to be managed in all the scenes, Cristiano decided to create an asset manager that, once set, would update all the scenes automatically with all the prefab and the inserted assets.
Irene has created a trial scene to make screenshots of the game to send to the Games Week’s organizers. Nicholas instead created the video teaser to be sent to the Games Week’s organizers.
We have therefore updated the Scriptable included in the Asset Keeper (upload of all the cards enumerators and all the graphics ). It’s time to create videos of the effects to send to the Sound Designer and Composer in order to make it work remotely on the effects already created.
Then we moved on to create and share the documentation to be sent to the Games Week organization, eventually creating a series of presentations of the various types of possible tutorials and the flow of the first scene of the game.